Latvian National accreditation system is established in the law “On Conformity Assessment”, section 13.
- The Cabinet of Ministers establishes a unified, national accreditation system, which conforms to the international requirements. Its objective is to determine accreditation procedures and observance of unified management principles.
- Ministry of Economics implements state policy in the field of accreditation and ensures operations of national accreditation system.
- Latvian National Accreditation Council participates in development of state policy in the field of accreditation, promotes cooperation with international accreditation organizations, as well as provides consulting to conformity assessment bodies on issues of the regulated and non-regulated area. Latvian National Accreditation Council is an advisory body. Regulations and personnel of this Council at the recommendation of the Minister o Economic are approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Accreditation of conformity assessment bodies in the regulated and non-regulated area, as well as operations of conformity assessment bodies are performed by the national accreditation body.
- National accreditation body is entitled to form technical committees of branches in order to receive consulting for solution of particular technical issues in the respective area.
The key anchor of operations of the accreditation system is the branch specialists, which are involved in assessments of conformity assessment bodies